Project Description

AVIRA

Avira Antivirus for Windows

My Role

Product Design
Interaction Design (IxD)
UX Copywriting

Team

Endpoint Protection

Product Manager

Andrey Belkin

Lead

Kai Brielmaier

THE SCOPE

and a bit of context

For many years, Avira’s main product was left in an “as it is” state, with only security and bug fixing acting as updates. This led to a performant but dated application.

Users were generally content with the product, but the lack of a modern UI and user-centric approach was making itself more and more present.

There has been an attempt at renewing the app, but after a year the company deemed it a failure, due to technical reasons.

Upon joining the Product Design team, I took over the bringing of the new UI and UX to life.

This meant the reworking of all the User flows, redesigning the User Interface and overall simplify the application as much as possible.

THE PROCESS

and my role in it

When I took over the product, the product was so decrepit from a UI/UX standpoint that urgent action was needed. We already had a pretty rich set of User needs and pain points, gathered from various sources, so we just started working.

Given the pressure, the urgency of the project and the background of the members of the team, I chose to quickly draw out some very rough wireframes and verify them with whoever I could. Basically i chose to skip the wireframing phase and proceeded directly to the hi-fidelity mockups. People needed something as close to reality as possible.

With the help of the UX Research department, we found out the company wide Personas that were already defined proved to be still valid, greatly easing the whole redesign process

So I drew some personal sketches in order to have a base for discussions with the PM and PO.

Overall, the project had to be approached from several different angles

The project started in July 2016 and is still continuing. Right now the first UI and interaction layer is implemented.
Throughout the project I am in constant contact with multiple teams, each one taking care of one or more tasks.

  • Three development and QA teams
  • The Localization team
  • The Usability team
  • The Legal department

As a Product Designer, I worked on everything UX/UI, basically everything that wasn’t coding

THE USER TEST

and the conclusions

In collaboration with the User Research department we organised a test at the Schmiedl Marktforschung GmbH usability studio in Munich. The selected users were from all walks of life and all backgrounds, with which we tested an alpha version of the product.

The SUS Scale (System Usability Scale) was used

Key findings

The test had various scenarios that had users perform a series of tasks.

Below you can see the success rates.

Perform a scan
0%
Old
0%
New
Perform an update
0%
Old
0%
New
Turn off RTP
0%
Old
0%
New
Delete from Quarantine
0%
Old
0%
New
Restore from Quarantine
0%
Old
0%
New
Find date of scheduled scan
0%
Old
0%
New

Of course, issues were uncovered – UI, UX, copywriting/localization, development – and they were addressed as fast as possible.

CONCLUSION

and the next steps

By this time all the teams really hit their stride and the velocity increased, so we were able to iron out many issues discovered in the user test.

In September 2017 we rolled out the first stage of the new UI with a very positive feedback from the users and professional reviewers.

The launch was the culmination of less than one year of working intensely and under pressure, agile planning and finally execution. It was truly a collaborative process with multiple inter-disciplinary teams in two countries.

As future steps, the rest of the UI has to be implemented. This time there won’t be any time pressure, so proper methodology should be respected much more easily.